Kim is trained as a ceramic designer her work encompasses ideas based around weight, physical presence and scale.
Interested in how we react and interact with spaces and forms particularly within an exterior context
- MA Design Ceramics, Furniture, Jewellery. Specialising in Ceramics.
- Central Saint Martins 2009-2011
- BA Hons Three Dimensional Design Ceramics. Surrey Institute of Art and Design 1993-1996
- Art Foundation, Oxford Brookes University, 1992-1993
- Crafts Council Hothouse 3 programme South West Cohort, partnered with the University of Plymouth and the Devon Guild of Craftsmen January- June 2013
- Buddy Laura Ellen Bacon
- Mentor Frances Lord
- Crafts Council Hothouse buddy to Louisa Finch, Spring-Summer 2014
Crafts Council Hothouse 7 mentor to Sarah Hitchens 2017
- 10days Chalk, Winchester Art Biennial October-November 2015
- Siobhan Davies Dance, Human Nature- the growing season
- Exhibition Lines, Levels, Layers June-September 2014
Exhibitions and Shows
The Trade Show presented by Faye Toogood, Brompton Design District,
London Design Festival, Sept 2017
Sculptural Ceramics and Stone, Pangolin Gallery, London, July-August 2017
Pangolin gallery window, Kings Cross, London, January-February 2017
- Craftsmanship alone is not enough: 100 years of Ceramics at Central Saint Martins, Lethaby Gallery, Central Saint Martins, Kings Cross, London, January-February 2017
Group exhibition showing at Old Fire Station, Oxford, January-March 2017 Leyden Gallery, London, October 2016
- Perpendicular exhibiting at Arthouse1, Bermondsey, London October-November 2014 |
- Milan Furniture Fair with Designersblock, Museum of Science and Technology, April 2012
- British Ceramics Biennial, Re-Fresh, Stoke On Trent, September-November 2011
- Designersblock, London Design Festival, Farmiloe Building, Clerkenwell, September 2011
- Central Saint Martins Design explorations exhibition, Sackler Centre, Victoria and Albert Museum, London, May 2011
- Vogue Street Lights. Organised by Carol Woolton Jewellery editor of Vogue.
In collaboration with Georg Jensen. May 2011
- British Ceramics Biennial 2013 - April-September 2013
- Explore - Research Residency a collaborative project with the Crafts Council Hothouse3 ceramicists.
- Exhibition dates September-November 2013
- Original Spode Site, Stoke on Trent
Residency in Victoria and Albert Museum Ceramics studio February-April 2010
- Experiential Spaces: Pause
Seating space installed in the garden positioned overlooking the Cherwell River.
Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford, September 2011
- Changing the Landscape: Capability Brown at Syon
Exhibition celebrating tercentenary of Lancelot Capability Brown.
Working in collaboration with Susan Darling garden historian.
Syon Park, June-October 2016
Competitions and awards
- Palladium Alliance Jewellery design competition for Vivienne Westwood
Teaching and public engagement
- Visiting Lecturer, Middlesex University, BA Design Crafts,
Developing practice in design crafts
Oct 2017 – May 2018
- Q&A with haptic/tacit artists at the Old Fire Station, Oxford.
Chaired by Kimberley Chandler.
- Exhibition Tour at Siobhan Davies Dance Lines, Levels, Layers. September 2014
- Kim Norton in conversation with Laura Ellen Bacon at Siobhan Davies Dance July 2014
Lines, Levels, Layers.
- In the Garden- Entelechy Arts Movement Workshop, The Garden Museum, Lambeth, London, July 2014
- A movement workshop aimed at older participants responding to material generated by the Human-Nature makers.
Kim collaborated with Entelechy Arts throughout this event.
- Children's workshop, Goldsmiths Centre
As part of the Chelsea Fringe festival
- Central Saint Martins Design explorations presentation on material matters, Sackler Centre, Victoria and Albert Museum, London May 2011
- GCSE and National Diploma ceramics
Abingdon and Witney College
- Adult ceramic evening classes Abingdon and Witney College Oxfordshire 2006-2007
- The Workshop Guide to Ceramics, Duncan Hooson and Anthony Quinn, Thames and Hudson published 2012